Got a quick question? Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions are here. If you don’t see the answer you’re looking for, try Ask the Expert, or give us a call. We look forward to hearing from you.
How can I use my loan?
Loans are available for business start up, purchase of an existing business, and expansion or maintenance of an established business.
What types of industry or business qualify for a loan?
We support all types of small to medium-sized industry and business. Our mission is to increase and maintain permanent jobs in our area of service.
Who is eligible for a loan?
To be eligible for a loan from the Centre For Business you:
- Are not able to get a loan from a traditional lending institution, such as a bank
- Live in the Georgian Triangle or Dufferin County (view map of our catchment area)
- Have completed a loan application form and a business plan
What size of loan could I get?
The Centre For Business provides loans up to $250,000. We offer flexible financing with repayment terms designed for maximum advantage.
Who approves the loans and how long does it take?
Our volunteer Board Of Directors reviews and evaluates each loan application and business plan on its own merits. Members of the Board are local business people with an interest in developing and diversifying our local economy. Every application is unique. The process from application to approval depends on the complexity of the application and may take from 4 to 6 weeks.
Can you help me write my business plan?
We want you to succeed and will provide you with the resources, advice, guidelines and proper forms to make writing your plan as easy as possible. However, we do not write the Business Plan, as it is your plan.
What’s at the Centre For Business?
We’re located at 105 Hurontario Street in Collingwood, Ontario. Please drop in and:
- get your complimentary business start-up package and business plan guidelines
- browse or borrow from our collection of business books, directories and reports, data and statistics, and government documents in the resource library
- get answers to your questions from our staff
- use our internet-based self help workstation to do electronic applications (e.g. business name search, registration or renewal; retail sales tax vendor permit; employer health tax and workplace safety and insurance board).
An appointment is necessary.
Do you provide any training?
The Centre For Business offers on-line learning through To Learn Online. Professional Development courses include: leadership, marketing, bookkeeping/record keeping, project management, team building, customer service and financial management. Call us or go to www.cfdlearn.ca
What sorts of support do you provide for community economic development?
The Centre For Business works with organizations and municipalities on community economic development initiatives that will benefit our communities.
What is The Centre For Business?
The Centre For Business and Economic Development is a not-for-profit Community Futures Development Corporation sponsored by Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario and governed by a community-based volunteer Board of Directors.